I may have mentioned once or twice that my daughter is starting school in September.
She is going to the school that I put as my 2nd
choice. I have seriously beaten myself up about this over the last few months, wondering if I should have put my 3rd choice as my 2nd
(still wouldn't have got in but then could have gone on the waiting list etc etc etc). So I'm not completely at ease with things.
But, the school she is going to is nice - not doing brilliantly in terms of results, but has a friendly feeling, a very good head, and is making 'good' progress. But, it has a reputation of being a bit 'rough', I don't know anyone else going there, and was concerned at how few other parents chose to go to the recent open evening.
I was pretty devastated when I found out she was going to this school but I have done a very good job over the last few months of convincing myself it is all okay. I've even bought the uniform.
And then yesterday I found out that Freyja
is much higher up the waiting list for our first choice school than I thought. There is a very good chance she will get in for September.
I am now in turmoil. I am mentally prepared for her going to the other school and I'm finding it very difficult to switch my expectations and think of her going to my first choice school.
My first choice school is bigger, though still manages to have the feel of a small school as it is infants only. It is quite strict in terms of its expectations and discipline and it has a great reputation, an 'Outstanding' ofsted
, is very good academically and I know quite a few others going there, including Freyja's
best friend. I know she will be challenged at this school and it would be lovely to go somewhere that we both know others. But the junior is a separate
school - and I've heard rumours that it is not quite as good as the Infants - so will be a bit of an unknown once she gets to that stage.
I hate that I'm still having to think about this and I just want to bury my head in the sand until it all goes away. The transfer for the waiting list is automatic, so if a place comes up, she's in, just like that. So if I want to stick with the current school, I have to decide right now. I've heard so much rumour, gossip and opinion about all the schools in my area that I now have no idea what my own opinion is anymore and I'm finding it pretty much impossible to decide what to do.